Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Anaya

I love her. I do and forever will.

Our vivid memories remained everlasting in my mind. They would be eternally imprinted in my thoughts, in my heart and in my very soul. My heart’s permanently entwined with hers, no one but hers.


During my early grade school times, I was at the playground across the school when I saw a little girl crying. I guessed she’s around seven years of age. A rush of curiosity came down over me so I walked my way towards the swing she was sitting on. I asked her what suppose to be the problem but she just went on weeping. I really sympathized with her but I hardly found a way to lend my help. Her sobs eventually went much louder that I almost freaked out. Then for some reason, I was near tears.

“Don’t cry.” I plead unto her as I wiped a teardrop of mine.

“I want my mommy!” She told me back as an outburst. It then gave the idea that she was missing.

I found nothing to say more and so I continued to stare at her. Then a sudden idea popped in my mind. I gazed around and fortunately came across to a balloon vendor. I left her for a moment then returned with a balloon on hand. I relayed it to her as her tear-drenched eyes met mine.

“What’s this for?” She asked.

I also lent a paper and a pencil. “You want your Mum? Go, write it there.”

I sensed her hesitation.

“My Dad told me that if I have got something to wish, I just have to write it and then the balloon will bring it up to heaven and then my wish will surely come true.” I told her.

She finally accepted it as I responded with a smile. I saw her wrote, Please go back, Mom.

I tied it around the balloon’s tail. I gave it back to her and afterwards, she let it go in the air.

We waited for few minutes.

I saw her eyes glowed into joyfulness as we heard someone called her name.

“Anaya…”

She hastily stood up and embraced her mother. I saw her lips drew the words “Thank you”, and then they drifted off.

The years went by so fleeting that I haven’t realized it’s been 20 years since it happened. I didn’t know but somehow, it left a big mark inside of me and I hardly let go that moment.

One day, I was on my way to my niece’s school when a familiar face caught my attention. I felt the sudden urge to come closer towards her. Every step I made led me to an assurance. Few steps more and then I’m in front of her. She smiled to me and greeted me with courtesy.

“Hi.” I greeted back.

“Are you looking for someone, mister?”

Yes, I was looking for you… all along. “No, no. I just thought you’re that someone I used to know.” I shrugged my shoulders. “I have to go, ahm... I’m sorry if I disturb you.”

She only nodded back as I started to walk away. But I was about to take a step when I heard a little guy crying and as I turned around, I saw her comforting him. Soon enough, they made her way somewhere and I stayed watching her.

My heart almost came out of my chest when I saw what she was holding. She gave it to the kid beside her. And just like twenty years back…

“Just write down your wish.” She instructed him.
As soon as the child finished, she tied it around the balloon’s tail. “Know what, I was at your age when I first did this. Someone told me then –

— that if I have got something to wish, I just have to write it and then the balloon will bring it up to heaven and then my wish will surely come true.” I voiced out then made my way closer to them.

The kid flew the balloon up. The three of us gaze it together as it went higher and soon gone. Then I looked at her and she welcomed me with a smile. “Hi Anaya.”

***

50 years after…

Those eyes filled with so much suffering, her body slowly weakening and her smile trying hard to give me hope were the last things I ever want to see. But how could I erase every inch of sorrow lingering over her?

Let her stay with me...please. My tears kept on falling as I wrote each word. I looked up. “Please...”

(All along, his wishes all just came true. But some things have their own ending… even the best ones.)

***
Ever since Anaya died, he spent EVERYDAY of his life writing a message and let it sent through balloons. And each day…he wrote the same thought.

I LOVE YOU.

0 comments:

Post a Comment